Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Life of Pi

Imagine being named after a swimming pool.
Imagine setting sail to a different country with an entire zoo in storage.
Imagine being marooned in a lifeboat for 200 days with a bengal tiger...and surviving.
Imagine encountering a carnivorous island of algae that during the day transformed salt water into fresh water.
Imagine losing ones entire family.
Imagine attempting to embrace three different religions.
All through out Life of Pi, I was amazed and impressed with the vocabulary and knowledge of exotic animals and their characteristics. This story of survival written by Yann Martel was packed full of controversial moments brought on by desperate circumstances. Pi Patel lived his life with God and was tested far more extensively than any of us will ever be.
The blurbs on the back of the book all say the book was funny, I don't remember laughing once.
The only time I remember laughing about this book was when I first borrowed it and was looking at the cover. On the front is a gold circle that says WINNER OF THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE. After glancing at the front I thought that it said Winner of the man book prize and that was about the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life. Someone should start that, an award for the best "man book."
Yann Martel: Born in Spain. He went to a boarding school in Canada for his high school years. He grew up in Costa Rica, France, Mexico, and Canada. As an adult, Martel has spent time in Iran, Turkey and India. After studying philosophy at Trent University in Canada, Martel spent 13 months in India visiting temples, churches, mosques and zoos, and then two years reading religious texts and castaway stories. His first published fictional work, Seven Stories, appeared in 1993. Other works include Beatrice and Virgil, and What is Steven Harper Reading.

No comments: