Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A 2-Year Anchor

"People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home." -Dagobert D. Runes

As a freshly turned eighteen year old about to graduate high school, my thoughts have turned into mature complicated things. For in about a week my dreams and plans go from being too far away to see to directly in front of me. Hawaii and the desert road trip my family and I just took have helped me come to a better view point of moving up to Quincy (well of traveling period). These next two years of my life are not going to end up like I planned. They were supposed to include the John Muir Trail and Hong Kong and traveling. For the last months I have been bitter towards the 180 turn around God has sent me on. But as I approach Graduation and the imminent car ride to my new home town I have decided something that will hopefully fix my bad attitude.

I have decided to play an elaborate mind trick on myself. Quincy for the next two years is going to be in a different country, across the big fish pond. Plumas County is now in my mind a brand new continent. California is no longer associated to Quincy accept through me- being a born and raised California girl. My dear Quincy is not separated from the house I grew up in by a simple couple of hours in a car but by hundreds of miles over rocking waves. The people there migrated from a small town in England no one knows the name of. With them they brought a small town face, and an intimate understanding of nature. I will fly to Quincy on June 5th and move into a hostel full of girls that love to play sports as much as I do. I will learn their language, learn to cook my own food, and become an addition to the culture-scape of this newly created little continent. I will not wait for these two years to end before I start my life's travels. No. They start now. I have decided that traveling is a state of mind, one that I can discipline myself into. I will observe the natives in my own home with fascination by melding a far away from home mind set with my every day outlook. There you have it. Bad attitude gone. For even though this little plan God has thrown at me was wearing a mysterious face it was actually my plan all along. What do you know God's plan was really my very deepest desire all wrapped, HE IS FAITHFUL! Yep, I think I am ready!!!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Girl you can write. Ever need something to fall back on you should write a book. I'm proud of you for going to college. I hope you have a great time. Maybe miss us a little bit. Take care of yourself.
Love you.