Friday, January 8, 2010

Mother Goose, advertisements, and Grey's Anatomy

Yesterday I took a couple hours and went back to Pre Kindergarten and learned something more important than how many particles are in a mole of carbondioxide or when to put a comma into a sentence... I learned that Mother Goose nursery rythms and the character herself could possibly be based off a real woman. All those nursery rhymes we heard growing up that will forever be with us but no one ever remembers their origin could have been based off of real country born woman. "With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes she will have music wherever she goes." In school why do we learn old men's conjectures about the Earth, or why do we learn about the founding of our country from only the American's point of view? I would love to take a history class that tells the history of the world through the Japanese eyes or the German's eyes. FLA format changes yearly, and yet kids are having to learn the different formats every year to keep up with a language that has so many exceptions to its rules and format. The United States and the whole metric system thing. We are screwed up. Even so in school why aren't we learning about the entertainment industry? Who the legends of the decades were, who the young people of the 1930's looked up to? Instead we learn about Pluto being a planet and then later the idiotic scientists who first called it a planet decide, "O we don't think it should be a planet anymore its just a hunk of rock."

In English class we had to write an analysis on an advertisement. We chose our advertisement and studied its details and slant, its color and font, its size and content, and yet if it hadn't been an assignment we wouldn't have noticed that the advertisement didn't tell the price of the product because its overly costly, we wouldn't have noticed that on the Pantene ad there is a smaller than a dime sized vitamin floating in thin air expressing the slant that Using Pantene is like giving your hair its daily vitamin. Somebody put hard work into that ad and if we hadn't had this assignment we wouldn't have even noticed that the green of the border glamorizes the idea of letting nature takes it course, point being I don't know what the point was I just thought it was interesting how my English class helped me pay attention to details that were created to catch my attention anyway.

Everytime I watch Grey's Anatomy, I cry and laugh, and giggle, and scream, and I GET PARANOID! Suddenly every little ache and pain means I am dying or every disease I see their patients get I suddenly seem to have a symptom. Crazy mental holes I get into and somehow stay in until something else gets my attention.

No comments: